Sunday, June 6, 2010

Antique and Vintage Bicycles…

111

I am in love with this old bicycle. I want it. It’s overwhelmingly charming, almost functional, and has cache. I get goose bumps looking at it. It’s as if we were once lovers and just happened to bump into one another haphazardly... it’s alluring (still). Chipped paint no matter. Minor rust spots transform into character marks and noisy gears seem endearing. Does anyone else have a fixation on transport such as this? I cannot be alone in my love for old resurfaced castaway items from the past. Items just waiting to be captured, updated (perhaps) and put back into use.

Bicycles are an excellent mode of transport. Where I live, they are highly controversial, but still an excellent way of transporting one’s self. This particular bicycle welcomes the type of person not afraid of wearing an old pair of chinos with the legs rolled up… maybe with a well worn  tee shirt or well taken care of (but also well worn) button down and pair of bucks. This isn’t the type of bike you wear designer high tech spandex (and thank goodness). No, not at all. It’s the type of bicycle that welcomes you to slow down a bit, to pay attention and enjoy the journey.

What or whom would you put in your sidecar?

When I see this bike I want to ride it up and down the street of of a town where time has been forgotten. I have visions of Italy, France, Spain, even Argentina.

For the moment, it remains categorized on my list known as “drool,” waiting patiently to be explored. Someday, you might see me riding it up and down the streets of Sausalito!

No comments:

Post a Comment