Friday, May 14, 2010

Calissons d’Aix en Provence

Calissons are one of my most favorite “very old sweet things” in this world. They rank right up there with the decadent collection of chocolates from “La Maison du Chocolate” & caramels with sea salt from “Recchiuti Confections.” They really are that good! I had my first Calisson at the most amazing specialty food and candy store (which is sadly, no longer in business) in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I don’t remember the name of the store, but do remember that it was near “Dewey, Cheatem & Howe”, and my memory of the store and its layout remain strong despite my forgetting the name of it.

I also remember my first Calisson. It was a perfectly shaped diamond-like delight, individually wrapped and somewhat soft. I remember! I bought it, left the store and went on my way. It wasn’t until later that day that I remembered I had purchased it. It was immediately consumed and I have been addicted ever since. If you have yet to experience a Calisson, you must.

Calissons are a specialty of Aix en Provence, made from blanched almonds, preserved fruits including: candied orange peels, candied cantaloupe and cavaillon melon, on top of a paper thin wafer or host, and topped with a royal icing! They are meant to be moist and somewhat chewy, and make an excellent accompaniment to tea.

The history of Calissons began in 1454 when Jeanne de Laval, a much younger bride remembered as never seen smiling as a result of her fate, married King Rene. It was evidently known that she was not at all excited at her prospect of marrying the King, he being so much older; nor was she excited about being his second wife. It was then at their wedding dinner, that she smiled, after having tasted the divine creation of what would later be named, the Calisson, and her world became better!

Behold the power of the Calissons!

800px-Calisson aix

1 comment:

  1. I must try one of these, they sound devine!

    ReplyDelete