Thursday, May 20, 2010

C’est Cheese…

DSC01237

Would you believe me if I told you that I can still smell this particular shop? The ripe & pungent odor of a properly stocked cheese venue is not one easily forgotten. The scent lingers; sometimes longer & sometimes shorter than a previous experience. It depends. It’s one of those examples of sensory overload of which the olfactory sense wins hands down. I have to admit however, the sight of all of those multicolored, carefully- stacked & artfully-placed selections of “edible art” take a very close second to their collaborative scent! Just being in a cheese shop with such variety makes me happy. I can look, smell, touch, examine and study the variety of cheese all while conjuring up sets of ideas of where I can utilize them (and how). The possibilities are endless, they truly are!DSC01236

Going to a “Fromagerie,” is almost like going to an apothecary. There’s a certain mysteriousness to it. The act of transforming milk, from whatever animal derived, into something else so vastly different from its origin, is intriguing.  Don’t you agree?

There are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of different cheeses to try. The joy of the “Fromagerie,” is the variety of options before you. An authentic shop will have both a much greater variety of the obscure as well as a selection of more recognizable options from which to choose. Be brave, step outside your comfort level. Try something new.  Perhaps try the Morbier. It has a layer of vegetable ash in the middle (most think it is a “blue” vein) or my favorite, Old Amsterdam – it’s gorgeous. Skip the Brie and Camembert, they’re boring. If you must play it safe, try the Saint Andre. Like mushrooms? How about Champignon. Into rich blues? Cambozola is a tried and true (not very exotic) triple cream blue that’s very appealing, attractive, and almost-affordable.

DSC01238

I hold a very special attachment to cheese. Like the ever-crusty loaf, the deep, full-bodied red and choice rich dark chocolate, cheese is sacred. Do you share my same love for cheese?

I’m interested in knowing what cheeses other people call favorites. What do you serve/pair them with? Does anyone else love fig preserves with Gouda? Am I the only one that can snack on a triangle of Parmigiano-Reggiano and not realize it’s gone before it… is?!  What about Raclette?! What cheese(s) do you put in your fondue?!

By the way…if you’re close to San Francisco, the 24th Street Cheese Company is my favorite. They have a fantastic representation, a really nice (and knowledgeable) staff, and it feels like it’s been there forever. Also, Cow Girl Creamery has a true-to-form selection of almost everything you could hope for. Their display cases are stunning! I know there are others; I just have to discover them. Anyone care to join me for an outing?

DSC01246

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Matthew--I was vicariously enjoying the scents you were describing! I try not to eat too much cheese, but I do love the varieties of flavors, scents, and textures. And exploring pairings with different foods,wines, etc.
    I'm going to try to read your blog at least once a week. You're such an interesting person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee: Thank you so much. I used to manage a cheese store many moons ago... that was a really fun job! I appreciate your following me.

    ReplyDelete