Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Gift From Mother Nature – Olive Oil!

Isn’t Olive Oil divine?! How could I have lived so many years not fully appreciating this golden nectar?! I am in love with not only the distinct flavor of the particular olive, the land it came from, and techniques used to harvest and process; but also the variety of colors and hues, viscosities, odors, bottles and labels. I am most especially drawn to the romance of… of all of it!

DSC01239

Several years ago my sister introduced me to a particularly gorgeous olive oil, Laudemio, which changed everything for me (http://www.laudemio.it/site/start.jspI). I don’t know if I would go as far to say that it made me want to be a better man, but if anything ever has, it came close to doing so. It undoubtedly made me want to expand my limited olive oil knowledge, and quickly – I knew I was missing so much. Soon I found myself researching the subtleties and complexities of the plethora of olive oil options available to me. I would scour the shelves at Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table and Dean and Deluca, occasionally buying a bottle of two and fully taking advantage of buying “mini bottles” when available, not wanting to commit to just one. I found myself making mental notes and jotting down particularly interesting finds for future reference.

laudemio 

I now utilize olive oil in so many dishes. Olive oil is to me what butter was to the late (and much beloved) Julia Childs. By itself for dipping (with or without an equally amazing balsamic vinegar), in dressings for salads, marinades, a few (or many) drops on top of soups as garnish and even in recipes used for baking.

My advice: Don’t be afraid to experiment! Like most beautiful things in life, less is more. Experiment on a small scale first. You can always expand your method after you know that it works for you. You don’t always need as much as you think you might. Think, “Saffron.”

oliveoil tree olivebranch2

I have a wide appreciation for many olive oils now, and undoubtedly have my preferences. I will forever remain loyal to Laudemio, for they changed my world. When buying local olive oils I am drawn to McEvoy Ranch, Saint Helena Olive Oil Company, and The Olive Press (located at Jacuzzi cellars next to their wine tasting room). These three choices are only the beginning I know… There are many burgeoning operations starting to sprout up all around us in Northern California, for which we are eternally grateful. Options!

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment