Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cemeteries Are Not For The Dead

Okay, so maybe they are, but they’re not just for the dead. I know I’m not alone in my love for cemeteries, there are others, like me. I am fascinated particularly by the the oldest of them. I’m drawn  to the one’s that feature the most weathered headstones, the one’s with barely legible script and especially those erected for the unfortunate infants within their plots. The grand architecture of select family crypts, elaborate statuary, and the kind gorgeous patina exhibited on fantastic hardware moves me.

reco1 reco2 reco4 reco5 

Wandering through cemeteries is one of my favorite past times. It’s like one big mystery. A fantastic one, with so many pieces of puzzle to sort with no possible way to re-construct a time from such a distant past. A jaunt up and down row after row leaves me with the feeling of such initiative. Initiative to live more, do more, be more and experience more. What better reminder of realizing of one’s immortality than through the witnessing of other’s entry and departure as listed on their gravestones?

recoa recob recoc recod

One of my most favorite cemeteries in the world is in Buenos Aires. The Recoleta Cemetery is one of the grandest I have ever seen and has some of the most amazing crypts and examples of statuary anywhere I’ve ever set foot. Eva Person, better known as, “Evita,” was buried here. Her location is much like finding the Mona Lisa in the Louvre; if lost, simply look for the masses taking snapshots!

ra rb rc rd

All of the images above are from one of my visits to this magnificent cemetery. Should you find yourself in Buenos Aires, you absolutely must make a point of stopping by to visit it!

2 comments:

  1. very cool ... there is something captivating about cemeteries! I have quite a few scenes in and around cemeteries in the fiction novel I've been writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @jan: i just love them! the recoleta cemetary is amazing!

    ReplyDelete